Change of Academic Program (Major) or School

When thinking about changing your program, your course load, and enrollment status, seek advising. We recommend students check with their academic advisor or seminar leader, the Financial Aid Office, and the Registrar’s Office to learn about the academic and administrative procedures needed.

Change of Program or Major

Within One School (for example, changing from one School of Education & Counseling master’s program to another) - Students must complete the Change of Academic Program form in consultation with the program chair and obtain all required signatures.

To a Different School (for example, from the School of Education & Counseling to the School of Business & Technology) — Students must re-apply to the school offering the program to which they desire to change. They must submit a new application and all materials to the Admissions Office, meet all current admission requirements, and be approved for admission.

Students must consider carefully and explore the financial and academic implications:

  • Meet with your current academic advisor, the chair of your new program, and the academic dean to discuss the change and get approval.
  • A different program may have additional program-specific admission requirements and may require additional courses, time, effort, and expense.
  • You will be required to meet the requirements of your new program that are current at the time of your program change.
  • Courses you have already completed may not be accepted into a different program.
  • Transfer credits accepted may differ.
  • Financial aid rules and awards may differ.

Note: all students receiving financial aid must see a financial aid officer before making any program change or any changes in the total number of credits taken in a term.

Students who do not receive financial aid are encouraged to meet with the bursar to address the financial implications of their change.